Then check out this award-winning burger recipe from Chef Jason Royal.
Based on an assignment Chef Jason was given while in culinary school, the New Englandah Burgah brings together traditional burger staples like cheddar cheese and bacon, but adds a sweet twist to it with maple syrup and apples. This recipe makes two BIG burgers (excuse me, burgahs) so bring a hearty appetite!
And as the Food52 Review put it “The burgers themselves have a faint sweetness from the maple syrup, and this is enhanced by the grilled apples; the salty crunch of the bacon and the tang of cheddar provide the perfect counterpoints.” Sounds good to us!
Makes 2 large burgers
- 1 pound 80-85% lean Black Angus ground beef
- 1/4 cup Pure New England maple syrup, plus more for basting
- 4 thick slices applewood smoked bacon
- 1 MacIntosh apple
- 4 slices Vermont cheddar cheese
- 2 Bulkie rolls
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 bottles blueberry beer
- In a medium bowl, combine the beef, 1/4 cup maple syrup, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well using your hands. Form into 2 8-ounce patties. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- Cook the bacon on the grill, in a skillet, or in the oven. Peel and slice the apple. Place in small bowl and sprinkle lemon juice over the slices to prevent browning.
- Place the apple slices on grill and cook for about one minute on each side. Remove and set aside.
- Grill the burgers over high heat, turn after 3 or 4 minutes and move to a cooler part of the grill. Drizzle some maple syrup over the burgers as they cook. Toast the buns as the burgers cook.
- When the burgers are cooked to your liking, take two slices or more of bacon and place on top of each burger. Arrange some apple slices on top of the bacon.
- Place a slice of cheese on top of each burger, cover the grill and let melt for about a minute.
- Place the burgers on the buns.
- Serve with blueberry beer.
If you own a restaurant, bar, food truck, or any other business that sells food, come to One Fat Frog for all your new and used food service industry equipment needs. We have in-house financing, free delivery, and a wide selection of new and used ovens, ranges, display cases, griddles, fryers, prep tables, and everything else you could possible want. And with equipment from One Fat Frog, you can supply your restaurant start-up with everything necessary to make Chef Jason’s New Englandah Burgah, and anything else you can come up with. Come to the Frog today!
One Fat Frog • 2416 Sand Lake Road • Orlando, FL 32809 • 407-480-3409